The giant swallow is a large swallow that lives and breeds in tropical Africa, but is most common in its west. It does not migrate, but follows the rains to some extent.
In 1760, French zoologist Maturin Jacques Brisson included in his Ornithologie a description of a giant swallow based on a specimen found in Senegal. He used the French name Lhirondelle du Senegal and the Latin name Hirundo Senegalensis. Although Brisson came up with Latin names, they do not follow the binomial system and are not recognized by the International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature. When Carl Linnaeus updated his Systema Naturae for the twelfth edition in 1766, he added 240 species previously described by Brisson. One of them was a giant swallow. Linnaeus included a short description and used a Latin name coined by Brisson for his binomial name, Hirundo senegalensis.
Molecular studies have shown that the giant swallow and its related species, previously attributed to the genus Hirundo, are a separate clade, and now they are classified in the genus Cecropis, which was introduced by the German zoologist Friedrich Boye in 1826.
There are three recognized subspecies:
- C. s. saturatior Bannerman, 1923 - western Africa from southern Ghana in the east to Ethiopia and northern Kenya
- C. s. monteiri Hartlaub, 1862 - Angola and southern Democratic Republic of the Congo to southern Kenya and south to northeastern South Africa
- C. s. senegalensis Linnaeus, 1766 - southern Mauritania, Senegal, and the Gambia east to southwestern Sudan
The giant swallow is the largest and heaviest species of the African swallow and resembles the great rufous swallow. The top of the head, back and tail are of a brilliant dark blue color, and a whitish necklace is formed on the sides of the head. The back of the body is dark red in color, and the throat and upper part of the chest are pale red, which changes downward to dark red. The very pale inner side of the wing contrasts with the dark flight plumage. Females are similar to males, but have a shorter tail. Youngsters are more brown in color. Giant swallows reach 21 - 23 cm in length.
3. Distribution and habitat
The giant swallow is distributed from southern Mauritania and Senegal in the east to western South Sudan and south to Namibia, northern Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and northeastern South Africa.
In southern Africa, the giant swallow lives in wooded areas, preferring dense broadleaf forests with Mopane Colosphermum mopane, but also the myombo species Brachystegia, with scattered baobabs Adansonia digitata and lead trees Combretum imberbe. In western Africa, it prefers open habitats such as forest clearings and savannah, also around villages and towns.
4. Behavior and ecology
The giant swallow feeds on flying insects such as ants, winged termites and flies, usually 2 to 30 meters above the ground. She is attracted by cases of termites coming out and forest fires, and then the swallows gather in flocks of up to 30 individuals. The swallow's flight is slow, reminiscent of a falcon, it often glides in the air, and often feeds high above the canopy of trees, like other swallows and swifts.
The Giant Swallow nests alone or in small groups. Grezdo is made of mud balls, woven with grass and feathers. The nest is shaped like a pumpkin and has a long entrance tunnel attached to the side. Grezdo is often located in a crevice in a tree, very often in a baobab tree, but also under tree branches, on buildings or road drain pipes. They breed year-round, with a peak of breeding activity in August-April. In clutch there are 2 - 4 eggs.
- Red-breasted swallow Cecropis senegalensis Linnaeus, 1766 - Giant swallow Cecropis striolata Schlegel, 1844 - Spotted swallow Genus Cheramoeca
- Spotted swallow Cecropis abyssinica Red-breasted swallow Cecropis semirufa Giant swallow Cecropis senegalensis Red-lumbar swallow Cecropis
- swallow However, it turned out that the swallow was just very weak. Thumbelina secretly from the mouse and the mole began to take care of her. Spring has come. Swallow completely
- Other rare species of the park's fauna are the Blue Swallow Hirundo atrocaerulea Steppe Kestrel Falco naumanni Steppe Harrier
- niecale dziesiec. - Blood of elves, chapter 5 Geralt in the third chapter of the Tower of the Swallow also said: After all, you, Dandelion, are not even forty to seriously rhyme and invent
- whether he is a real hibernation. For several decades it was believed that a giant shark in winter, dropping to the bottom horizons of the northern regions
- to say goodbye to the Sun, and there I unexpectedly met a swallow that, once, dying, she saved and cured. The swallow took Thumbelina to a warm place. There a girl
- Barn swallow Riparia riparia Barn swallow Hirundo rustica Brown-throated swallow Hirundo tahitica Order: Passeriformes Family:
- Queen Lyudmila Late child and mother Carolina Heavenly swallows In the late 1960s Irina Gubanova became the wife of Alexander Kharitonovich
- Jordana 1996 and an oak chud from the Swallow Tower of Andrzej Sapkowski 1997 The tree people in fantasy are tall or gigantic, the body is a tree trunk, leather
- showed such a sweep, such gigantic steps and beauty of movements that the crowd froze. And when he gracefully, like a swallow, flew 13 circles and beat the standing
- no time was spent. In the same canyon, other caves with prehistoric settlements were also discovered, for example, the Cueva de la Golondrina Swallow Cave
- Rock Swallow - Ptyonoprogne rupestris Barn Swallow - Hirundo rustica Red-rumped Swallow - Cecropis daurica Barn Swallow - Delichon
- totemistic representations. So, the Ying tribes considered the swallow of the Xia tribes - a snake as their totem. Gradually the snake transformed into a dragon of moons
- In 1996, a giant chandelier made in the Netherlands was placed in the center of the room, consisting of many vertical brass panels. Starting out
- Wears an apron embroidered with a green bunny. Kisonka is a friend of Swallows Swallow is a friend of Kisonka. The egg-capsule is a neighbor of Sineglazka. Plump baby
- supergiant at the 2010 Olympics inaccessible link eng. Take risks, swallows Evgeny Dzichkovsky - Sport - Express February 22, 2010 Full video
- marsh harrier, common gulls, silver lark, barn swallows, yellow wagtails, white common nightingale
- International competitions in diving of the Grand Prix series Spring Swallows International football tournament Commonwealth Champions Cup in 1994, 1999
- Fandorin's acquaintance. It is rumored that the cause of Matan's death was Shigumo - a giant werewolf, a spider - a vampire. But Fandorin suspects that the death of the hermit
- the current Prime Minister Yamamoto. Watari has his own reasons for waiting for trouble: the swallows all at once, suddenly left Japan Watari persuaded Yamamoto to start work
- film studio them. Gorky, 1977 Variant Omega 1975 - Honniman The First Swallow 1975 - Varlam the role of Ippolit Khvichia One hundred grams for courage 1975
- 2012.ウ ェ ー ブ ザ ス ワ ロ ー Jap. unavailable link Sonic Channel - Swallow Wave on the official Japanese site of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. date of the application
- heron, stork, ibis, Siamese red-breasted crane, endemic white-eyed river swallow Among the predatory species are eagles, falcons, hawks, kites. There are many
- weekdays as well as the interregional express Moscow - N. Novgorod electric train Swallow 2 pairs per day Around the ring - Electric trains to from Alexandrov - 1 through Belkovo
- collared alcyone, short-billed long-tailed larvaeater, dahurian swallow striped-throated minla
- 1970s - 1980s were followed by ships Sunrise Polesie Colchis Cyclone Swallow
- usually live up to 1, 5 - 2 years old, large sturgeon, pike - over 80 years old giant salamander, unlike small amphibians, live up to 60 - 70 years old
- the central feathers of the secretary birds are much longer. Conversely, the barn swallow frigates and some terns have much shorter central feathers, forming
- has some sympathy for Can. Jimpei - callsign - G4 bird form - swallow transport - all-terrain vehicle personal weapon - bolas character - frivolous
Users also searched for:
swallow, giant swallow, giant swallow, giant swallow, biological articles without ncbi. giant swallow,
Moscow News Giant swallows will draw on the territory.
New creative animal world, plant pattern socks giant panda swallow cartoon mens socks fashion casual happy novelty socks. For the first time, Russian Railways demonstrated an unmanned train Swallow. The running of Swallows is resumed. No. 819 820 Rostov Anapa Novorossiysk, No. 807 808 Rostov Krasnodar Tuapse from Rostov.
Family Swallow Hirundinidae.
Barn swallow Hirundo rustica birds at the Zoo The oldest reptile is the Galapagos giant tortoise, which can. Film text Monty Python and the Holy Grail, screenplay. Then the sparrow decided to occupy the old nest of swallows, not turning the sea, and the mansion looked like an ominous mansion, like a giant swallow's nest.
The first BPR Computerworld swallow flew over Moscow.
Who staged the giant pigeons at the Swallow Festival and why they were so popular. From June 27, Russian Railways will return part of the Swallows, canceled in the south of Russia. Cecropis senegalensis Hirundo senegalensis angl. mosque swallow vok. Senegalschwalbe, f rus. giant real swallow, f pranc. hirondelle des. The swallow from Pskov is two hours late for Petersburg. B. Until now, only one species of swallows, 8, has been identified on the island of Mauritius, and the giant swallow Cecropis senegalensis has undergrowths.
Sentences with the phrase NEST OF SWALLOWS.
The Perm Suburban Company has allocated one of the Swallow cars according to the director of the film Train of Life: Our team is simply gigantic. Giant cave swallow Dwarf Fortress. On the Amur and some Siberian rivers, giant colonies are known, numbering tens of thousands of nests and existing at least. A giant real swallow from Russian into all languages. Swallow request redirects here see also other values. Red-breasted swallow Cecropis semirufa Giant swallow Cecropis.
Perm Swallow became a film set for.
Electric train Lastochka No. 721 722 St. Petersburg Bologoye has been assigned an additional stop on December 8, 2019. Fish swallow Fish of the Red Sea. Broken traffic lights: giant traffic jams have formed on Energetikov The swallow on the way to Karelia will stop at. Record routes of birds Science and Life. The length of the path is a little less than 70 km, the Swallow passes it for A specific Russian disease is gigantic, very. Chapter 1: Swallow, Ciel Migrato Ru With animal and plant prints, giant panda, tiger, swallow, cartoon men and women socks, fashion casual happy socks ,.
Green Living Room Nabokov Museum in St. Petersburg.
An experimental trip of the high-speed electric train Swallow on the route Tomsk - Novosibirsk will take place on September 20. Reported about it. Swallows. The swallow spends all its life in flight, very rarely sinks to the ground. Swallows are the Giant Swallow, Cecropis senegalensis. New creative socks with the image of animals, animals. Wavy moray eel Giant moray eel Yellowfin moray Yellow-mouthed Amblyglyphidodon indicus - Indian swallow fish - Pale damsel Indian swallow fish lives in lagoons and on the outer coral slopes. Giant Swallow Papilio Crosphontes Leaflet Stock. The city swallow Delichon urbica in the south of Russia and the Caucasus is known for giant colonies of the city swallow, numbering up to 2000 nests. Giant swallows will be drawn on the territory of the Luzhniki Stadium. Round the clock stream my gigantic strength. The most infinitely merciless villainy with a rapid stream of tea for weight loss is a swallow.
Swallow. What are Swallow.
Why does the house on Zemlyanoy Val have such a huge arch? You will see less of this. MOSCOW IS NESKUCHNO. The bird chirping of Mauritius, the original has sunk into oblivion - a scientific topic. Round the clock stream my gigantic strength. The most infinitely merciless villainy with a rush of tea for weight loss swallow Next Login Settings. The swallow urgently stopped near Kolpino. Train # 812 Swallow from Pskov to St. Petersburg got stuck on the stretch of Shosseynaya Aleksandrovskaya due to adverse weather conditions.
New creativity animal plant pattern Socks.
Photo: Morning Swallow caused a crowd at Vyborg train station, June 25 Giant Honor X10 Max live photo Giant Honor. 1 tomato, 1 pepper and 1 small grilled eggplant for 700r review about. News: Giant swallows will be drawn on the territory of the Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow Moscow, 20.06.2016.
More than 47 thousand people were transported by the Swallow on the route.
Atticora fasciata J. F. Gmelin, 1789 White-belted Amazonian swallow Cecropis senegalensis Linnaeus, 1766 Giant swallow. Petrel and storm swallows. Animal world. Volume 3. Giant images of swallows will be painted on the asphalt, pavilions and tents on the territory of the Luzhniki Stadium, according to the material on. The most unusual animals on the planet Everything is positive !. Giant images of swallows will appear on the territory of Luzhniki. Printing. A photo. June 20, 2016: 21. 947. The swallow has been chosen.
Swallow encyclopedia of animal species Zoovet.
The species of migratory swallows living in the northern countries, living in warm regions, lead the sedentary o Giant swallow Cecropis senegalensis. Capsule is a giant hard man who swallows a pill. The first swallow of BPR flew over Moscow, but also of market giants like Andersen Consulting, who are still waiting and not engaged in reengineering.
A giant swallow made a nest or something. Where are the Answers.
The routes of seabirds with a giant net cover everything to mention some species of swallows nesting in the North and Middle. Giant images of swallows will appear in Luzhniki. Giant swallow. Red-lumbar swallow. Spotted swallow. Cecropis badia. Mountain Swallows: Red-throated Mountain Swallow.
Giant images will appear on the territory of Luzhniki.
A swallow catches up to a million midges over the summer. The oldest tree in the world is a giant spruce, growing in Sweden, probably from the Ice Age. Crown flower, giant Indian milkweed, giant swallow. The territory of the Luzhniki stadium will be decorated with giant swallows of which the symbol of the stadium will lie - an image of a ring of five swallows. Slimming tea swallow. Hirst Nordfink's giant molars. The barn swallow can fly to warm lands or the city swallow or the plover can. Giant swallow tail, Nealces Thoas Papilio, beautiful. The giant Christmas tree touched a tall one with its tender star, because the swallow is mentioned many times in Nabokov's texts, especially in Russian poetry.
Pino is an online logic game based on tactics and strategy. This is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration of attention, teaches you to solve assigned tasks, plan your actions and think logically. It doesn't matter how many chips you have, the main thing is how they are placed!
Photo "A less striped swallow (Cecropis abyssinica) sits on a branch. Green background." can be used for personal and commercial purposes according to the conditions of the purchased Royalty-free license. The image is available for download in high quality with resolution up to 2460x1640.
- The country: Czech Republic
- Location: Outside
- Image orientation: Horizontal
- Times of Day: Day
- About photo stock
- Our plans and prices
- Business solutions
- Depositphotos Blog
- Referral program
- affiliate program
- API program
- New images
- Free Images
- Supplier registration
- Sell stock photos
- Español (Mexico)
- Português (Brasil)
- Bahasa Indonesia
- Frequently asked Questions
- All documents
- Bird In Flight - Photo magazine
- Live chat
- Contact us
- Reviews about Depositphotos
© 2009-2021. Depositphotos Corporation, USA. All rights reserved.